First-time install troubles

Fran Fabrizio fran at cis.uab.edu
Fri Feb 27 00:31:18 UTC 2004

This is my first time installing Fedora, my first time installing on an
SATA disk (why I switched to Fedora from RH9 in the first place), and my
first time trying to setup dual boot with a machine with NTFS, and I'm
having some issues:

The machine is a Dell Dimension 4600 that came pre-installed with XP on
a 120 GB SATA disk.  I used Partition Magic to size that down to 60G
leaving 60G for linux.

- The auto-partition makes an /dev/sda3 for /boot, and then a logical
partition containing a /dev/sda5 for / and then the swap space.  It then
warns me that this might not be good for my boot loader, and a boot disk
is strongly recommended.  What's the problem here?  I chose to install
GRUB on the MBR, more or less accepted all defaults.

- When I then install, and get to the boot disk part, it tells me it
can't make a boot disk because it won't fit on a floppy.

- When I reboot, it goes straight into Windows, no GRUB.

How can I get Fedora to successfully install the boot loader?

Thanks,
Fran

--

Fran Fabrizio