DHCP failing in FC1

Manuel Carro mcarro at fi.upm.es
Fri Feb 27 10:46:34 UTC 2004

    Rick,

>> Check /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and verify that that the ifcfg-DHCP
>> (VERY bad name...see below) specifies "DEVICE=eth0:3".  If not,
>> dhcpclient won't work since no DEVICE has been defined.

    Thaks for the advices.  Yes, the device is specified as you say.

>> The scripts in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts should be named after
>> the interface it affects--NOT the protocol used to define its IP
>> address, e.g. "ifcfg-eth0:3", NOT "ifcfg-DHCP".

    I'll try that; if it works I'll stick to it.

    However, while I understand that this setup might be needed
because the scripts currently require it, I do not see any deep reason
why it _must_ be so.  If the device is specified inside the file, then
the file may have any identifier you like.  In fact, I have
'ifcfg-Home' (a static IP for home) and 'ifcfg-Office' (ditto for the
workplace), and both work just right by issuing "ifup Office" and
"ifup Home" (which I usually do from the graphical interface).  And
this makes sense because it decouples the situation in which I am from
the connection method I use.  As soon as I get a wireless link at home
I'd change ifcfg-Home to start up the wireless interface, and
everything else (e.g., any startup script I may have or my partner's
routine to read email) should remain the same.  I think that this is
the right approach.

    Again, if renaming the file to ifcgh-eth0:3 solves my problem,
that's fine.  But if this is the only reason why it is not working
now, I still believe this is a bug in the scripts.

    OTOH, please developers do not take this as a criticism!  It is
very hard to set things right (I develop software myself) and you all
are doing a _great_ job.

>> In each file is a "DEVICE=" definition which should also specify the
>> device.

    Then, there is redundancy.  The name of the file must match
information that is also _inside_ the file.

        MCL