microsoft visual source safe

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Fri Feb 27 12:59:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:57:04 +0800 Richmond Pabilona <rpabilonia at cyberjresources.com> wrote:
>     Do you know how i can connect to a microsoft visual source safe
> server that has a ntfs filesystem?
> Will i be able to write to that repository?

OT, and not really an answer to your question, but this is important
(a former employer of mine learned the hard way):

some versions of VSS (maybe all?) don't check disk space
before committing, and don't behave gracefully when it runs
out.

the VSS archives, which are a proprietary binary format, get
corrupted and you end up having to reconstruct your source
code from the fragments scattered about the developers systems
or from backup tapes.

i won't tell you not to use it, but you want competent adminstrators
watching the VSS box if you are using it. my former employer
didn't, and as such had no current backups. the consequences
were quite painful, to say the least.

richard
Richard Welty                                         rwelty at averillpark.net