For the Newbies

thedogfarted thedogfarted at inbox.lv
Fri Feb 27 22:55:29 UTC 2004

Wayde Gutman wrote:
> My impression from fedora-list emails that many of the users of FC1 and
> FC2 are from the GUI generation, e.t., Windows. I have been a computer
> user since MS-DOS 3.3 days, as far as I am concerned, if you had never
> used DOS, you are at a disadvantage.
>
> In regards to FC1, I see it as Beta.
>
> If you want to know what is on your system, open up Terminal and do the
> followings...
>
> [newbie at lostchild newbie]$ dmesg | lpr (sends to printer)
>
> [newbie at lostchild newbie]$ dmesg | more (I like it better than less)
>
> Most importantly, get yourself a good reference book and subscribe to a
> linux-based magazine (Linux Journal, Linux Format, or Linux Magazine). I
> own two IDG Books's Bible Series, Unix Bible and Red Hat Bible.
>
> www.linux.oreilly.com or www.oreilly.com (I own a number of
> linux-related and Mac OSX-related books from this company)
>
> www.redhatsales.com (no brainer since FC1 is a Red Hat product)
>
> The reference source to end all reference source,
>
> www.tldp.org [The Linux Documentation Project's website that I have
> bookmarked for a long time].
>
> If you want more grief and despair, get FreeBSD (www.freebsd.org) and
> tackled that !

freeBSD is not so difficult as it looks like, at least kernel compiling,
driver and software setup is quite easy. And the idea of the ports tree
is excellent except i need to compile everything from source. j2sdk
1.4.2 compiled for 8h and then ld said it needs newer version of libintl :(

> Don't knock Mac OSX, it has a Unix core (Darwin) that is similar to
> FreeBSD 4.4...

i know some guys that were trying to put darwin on x86 machine - they
failed. maybe sometimes i'll try to do it... maybe