X slow startup

Alberto Cardinalli Jr. acjr0108 at yahoo.com.br
Sun Feb 29 04:27:13 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 23:06, Rick Stevens wrote:

> > I invoke X using 'startx', i did an uptime and that's my load average:
> > 0.41, 0.15, 0.06.
>
> That's a fairly husky load for a single-user machine.  You should do
> a "ps -ax", "ps -ef" or "top" and see what's sucking up all that CPU.
>
> > As I said before, even booting with an older kernel and reinstalling an
> > older version of the driver, the problem continues. I've tried
> > everything of NVIDIA's FAQ's and forums with no success. I posted a
> > question there but they didn't answer.
>
> This isn't a driver/kernel/whatever problem...you have some process
> that's eating up CPU cycles and slowing down the startup.  Look at
> the first process listed in the "top" report and see why it's using
> up all your CPU.
> -      To err is human, to forgive, beyond the scope of the OS       -

I killed some unused stuff here and this is my uptime: 0.00, 0.08, 0.06
I did "top" and "ps" after the cleanup and everything is OK, no "hunger"
process, but "startx" takes the same time. I think I'll try James hint,
try older drivers versions until I find one that starts X normally.

Thank you all,

--
Alberto C. Jr.