DHCP failing in FC1

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Feb 27 15:53:05 UTC 2004

At 07:39 2/27/2004, you wrote:
>NOTE: If you use the network configuration tool ( redhat-config-network (
>soon to be system-config-network)) it will create the file for you and
>save it. Then a boot will automatically start that interface unless you
>have it set the activate at boot option to no.  I have not tried the
>profiles, but I assume that is where you can override the boot options and
>specify which interfaces are activated for each profile.

I've used that tool extensively since it first appeared in RHL 8.0 or 9,
and it works quite well. You make differente profiles (home, work, hotel,
whatever). Then you make a COPY (not an alias, a copy) of each interface
for every profile in which you want to use that interface (if you only use
one interface at work, you only need to create that one copy, not one for
every interface). Then you tell redhat-config-network which interfaces to
activate on each profile. Works like a charm.

You can also then do the netprofile thing someone mentioned in your
grub.conf, so you can boot up your machine and tell GRUB which profile to
use right from the start. I don't normally do this on my notebook, but only
because I standby or suspend between meetings mostly. Get to the new
network, change the profile, restart the network, and away we go.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com