sound card permissions

Lorenzo Prince lorenzo at prince.homelinux.org
Thu Jan 8 06:25:48 UTC 2004

Is there any way I can maintain 777 permission on /dev/dsp or else change the
group to something other than root?  I have three users on my machine who may be
logged in at the same time who both need access to /dev/dsp.  I don't, however,
want all those users to be in group root.  But I don't care too much whether or
not the whole world can play sounds on my system, well, not like I care about my
password file. ;)  So can I permanently change the group ownership of /dev/dsp
or maintain 777 permissions?  I tried putting

chmod 777 /dev/dsp

in /etc/rc.local and in ~/.bashrc with no luck.

Thanks for any help,
PRINCE