Fedora News Updates #1

T. Ribbrock emgaron at gmx.net
Thu Jan 8 07:48:37 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 06:07:56PM +0000, Philip Wyett wrote:
[...]

> http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/hack.html

> Originally written by Mike Harris of Red Hat. This is the best way to
> setup and have a 'user' rpmbuild environment.

Hm... Nice, but I like this approach better:

groupadd src
cd /usr/src/redhat
chgrp -R src *
chmod -R g+w *
find . -type d -exec chmod g+s {} \;

Presto, common user build area, usable by any user that is a member of
the "src" group. No changes to rpm's setup required. Only downside: You
might need to redo the last four steps after updating rpm itself, as it
resets the permissions on those directories (at least it used to).

Cheerio,

Thomas
--
===> Netiquette - read it, use it: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html <===