Auto Login

Scott Kindley ckindley at indy.rr.com
Sun Jan 11 17:49:42 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 11:49, Craig White wrote:

> > The fact that Linux supports multi-user environments internally does not
> > mean that single-user mode is unnatural.  And, again, the fact that
> > someone wants to have autologin in GUI does not mean that the system is
> > completely open.  It's just a publicly available GUI - nothing more,
> > nothing less. :)
> ----
> great - so tell him how to accomplish it
>
> Craig

Create a user account for public use as you see fit then:

Start > System Settings > Login Screen > General Tab > Check the box
"Login a user automatically on first bootup" and select the user name
from the drop down list. Reboot and see if it works.

I have no idea what you'll have to do if someone logs out of the GUI
cause I've never had to do anything like this.