Goodbye to the list

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Mon Jan 12 16:56:38 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 07:21:52 -0900
"Mike" <scopeguy at postman.net> wrote:

> Elton Woo wrote:
> >
> > I am un-subscribing from the list. My main purpose in being a member
> > is to _learn_ from the many more skilled members here. Alas, the
> > sheer VOLUME of the list is too much. Even in digest mode. And I
> > haven't(or maybe I *should have) taken a speed-reading course.
> >
> There was a suggestion earlier that the list be split into topics. I
> propose a separate list for letters *about* the list, leaving the main
> list for questions and answers that are actually about Fedora and
> computers. Of course, this letter would have to go on the new list...

Mmmh... this might miss the point IMHO. People who make netiquette
mistakes due to misinformation most likely will not read this separate
ML, and it would basically have msgs complaining about msgs/people on
the Fedora main ML.

I guess the most effective way is to remind people about what they're
doing wrong when they're doing wrong. I believe a simple "please don't
do [...], go here [URL] to understand why". Even better, if the reason
why it was a mistake can be shortly explained, the more effective would
be the result, since I believe most people will not follow the link and
read an extensive (although brilliant) doc about netiquette.

As I said on my previous post on this thread, those who went against
netiquette by mistake will learn and avoid future errors, and those who
don't give a damn won't, but these (the latter) will always be stupid,
regardless of others efforts.

Best,

Andre

--