help-kernel panic no init found

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Jan 19 20:37:54 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 19.01.2004 schrieb Avi Aumick um 20:53:
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>
> > Am Mo, den 19.01.2004 schrieb Avi Aumick um 19:54:
> > > I just installed fedora. I was forced to do a hard reboot since for some
> > > reason the computer hung up (might have a memory problem). I received the
> > > following message:
> > >
> > > kernel panic: no init found. Try passing init= option to kernel
> > >
> > > How do I pass the "init="? I did try editing the command line when grub
> > > started by adding "init=1" but it did not work. Any suggestions??
> > >
> > > Thanks for you  help.
> > >
> > > Avram
> >
> > Did the hangup occur during install process? Then your system is not
> > proper installed and you need a new install run.
> >
> > If you have a memory problem then maybe the system on your harddrive is
> > damaged. You can try to boot with the kernel parameter "init=/bin/sh"
> > and see if that works. If not, you are faster with a reinstall.
> >
> > Alexander
> >
> The system installed ok and even ran. It happened when I was restarting
> autofs after modifying the config files. The autofs hungup. So I pushed
> the reset. That is when it happened.
>
> I did try booting with the param "init=/bin/sh" nothing really changed. I
> did notice just before the message this message:
>
> pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed:2
>
> I am hoping to not have to reinstall. But if I have to, can I just do the
> upgrade option so I don't lose the configuration (I don't want to
> reconfigure)?
>
> Thanks,
> Avram

Did you run a filesystem check? Seems your filesystem is damaged or at
least one or more files/directories broken.

Check that /etc/grub.conf is ok, that /initrd exists, that all
neccessary under /boot exists (kernel and initrd image file).

Additional give google the exact error message if all fails and you will
get some hints and tips where to look.

Alexander

--
Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany