xpaint alternative?

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Tue Jan 20 18:22:46 UTC 2004

T. Ribbrock wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> just a quick question: What are people using in FC1 as an alternative
> for xpaint (i.e. a simple drawing program)? I've found kpaint, but
> that's *too* simple, gimp isn't meant for simple drawing and neither are
> dia or xfig (never mind that the last three are overkill). Are there
> others I've missed?

Do you want a pixel-based or vector-based program? Your list encompasses
both, but they are typically used very differently. (dia, xfig, and
sofipodi are all vector-based programs, IIRC).

The Gimp has really taken over as -the- open-source pixel-based image
manipulation application, which means there's less incentive for anyone
to write or maintain a less-capable program.  Is the gimp's
unsuitability just that it seems to have too many options?

There are quite a number of home-brew Java-based paint applications, you
might want to look into those, as they tend to be a little less
intimidating.