Tcpdump: "admin prohibited filter"

Andrea Giuliano a.giuliano at iccu.sbn.it
Thu Jul 1 08:30:09 UTC 2004

Dear all,

trying to make my ADSL connection working, I ran across this suspicious
line in the output from  "tcpdump -i ppp0":

23:50:26.876061 IP 192.168.100.1 > 82.53.151.158: icmp 36: host 217.144.248.190 unreachable - admin prohibited filter

The output is full of such lines (you can see the whole output below).
What do they mean? Who's the admin? Myself on my local host or the admin
of the remote host (in other words, one of the ISP's admins)?

Since I simply cannot use the connection, even it seems to be up and
running, I was wondering if this messages could hide the actual cause of
my problems: maybe my ISP has made some changes that prevent me from use
the line effectively?

Please note the following:

1) I only had the connection working for one day, June 21, on FC1.
2) On June 22 I upgraded to FC2, and the connection became slow, but
still working.
3) Since June 23, the connection is definitely useless. No host can be
reached, not even the DNS server of my ISP, as listed in the syslog
after the ppp0 interface has come up.

Best regards.

--
Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.
ICCU - Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico