Mailing list stats for June 2004

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jul 1 18:22:57 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 13:18, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> >   148           Rodolfo J. Paiz
>
> I've clearly got to keep my mouth shut more often. <grin>

Would hate to lose the valuable input.  :)

> I would suggest that this output would be more interesting if clients were
> somehow "grouped" as in this case where roughly 350 posts were sent with
> SquirrelMail. Also, I just took a quick peek at the numbers, but they added
> up to somewhere near 6,000 as opposed to the 8,100 posts total. Do the
> other 2,100 posts not have a mailer-ID? You might also want to cut off from
> the list those mailers used to send less than 10 messages, just for brevity.

I debated this when I put that in.  I should be able to shorten it and
lump all the brands together but thought it was interesting to see the
variety of versions out there.  Will probably condense this for next
pass.  I may even change it to count the mailer used by each poster once
only so we see how many people use a particular mailer not how much
email was sent using a particular mailer.

Most likely they did not have the mailer-id header as you mentioned.
Either that or a horrible bug in my code. :)

> >Message Content Types
> >
> >   9033          text/plain
> >   941           multipart/mixed
> >   625           multipart/signed
> >   610           application/pgp-signature
> >   258           text/html
> >   238           multipart/alternative
>
> Similar question: 8100 messages, but here we have over 11,000 content
> types? Just curious, really.

This one was interesting.  I have found messages with multiple parts of
similar types in the same message.  In this case I did lowercase and
strip things down on these headers to lump everything that looked like
text/plain, etc together.  The initial pass had a much longer list but I
did not think it provided any additional information.

> Good job, interesting stats.

Thanks.  Something to do between other projects.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Never pay a compliment as if expecting a receipt.