stop a app from running

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu Jul 1 18:54:15 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 09:05, Ester Muñoz wrote:
> El jue, 01-07-2004 a las 18:00, James Lawrence escribió:
> > stupid me, forgot how to stop a application that is stuct kill ?? i need
> > to do it from the terminal correct?
> > thanks in advance
> >

> Hi some of the wiser ones might correct me, but I thought I have to
> answer the one question I could:
>
> kill -9 pid

Always make sure that a simple kill works before taking out the Big Bad
Hammer that's known as kill -9.

I mean, always try "kill <pid>" first. If it doesn't work, then do a
"kill -9".

The reason is "kill -9" blows up the process in a way that's not too
friendly to the rest of your system or to other systems that communicate
to it via the network.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/