java on mozzilla

T. Nifty Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 2 02:38:14 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 09:05:37AM -0400, Cyrus Adkisson wrote:
> Phil Schaffner wrote:

> >>I'd rather recommend using
> >>
> >>	/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/
> >>
> >>instead of the version-specific /usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/plugins !!

> >>the generic /usr/lib/mozilla/plugin dir, they would stick around after
> >>the upgrade !

The links or the binaries?

> >>Just my $0.02 :)

> I'm using mozilla 1.7 on a FC2 x86_64 computer and cannot, for my life,
> get the java plugin to work (nor flash for that matter since it doesn't
> compile on x86_64).

With 64 bit objects you need 64 bit components, including plugins.

It is interesting but not necessary that mozilla be compiled 64 bits.
Consider installing a 32 bit version of mozilla in addition to your 64bit
versions.  Use it when you need to.

When you find a plugin or library that needs a 64 bit version file a
bug or make a request of the vendor to fill in the blank.

I am a 64 bit fan but most applications have little need for the
larger address space.  In fact the limits of the 32 bit ABI can
improve stability when applications run badly.

The 64/32bit library issue may well color the value of a generic
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugin directory. Since mozilla is launched by a
shell script for most of us look there for ways to guide the
application to do the right thing.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l