mp3, tv, etc

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Fri Jul 2 02:59:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 00:54 +0400, Igor Anikeev wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have several questions.
>
> 1.  How do I play MP3s?  The obvious answer would be xmms with the
> plugin, but my locale is ru_RU.UTF-8 and it doesn't sound to handle it
> well. I do prefer encoding to ogg, but there's still lots of music in
> mp3 around.

Not sure quite what your question is.  Fedora does not support MP3 out-
of-the-box due to legal issues.  Get mpg321 and other multimedia apps
from FreshRPMS.net and friends, or use fedora.us/livna.org; but avoid
mixing the 2 groups.  Which player to use is more of a personal-
preference issue.

> 2. I don't seem to get a correct TV signal in tvtime. I used to use the
> application, and it was fantastic (in the ALT Linux days).  Then I would
> simply put a line "option bttv card=21" in modules.conf - and it worked.
> I have no earthly idea of dealing with modules under 2.6 kernels. Who
> can help?

May be a PAL/NTSC/Frequency-table issue. Both tvtime and xawtv work for
me when correctly configured.  You don't say what you need - man tvtime
documents lots of options.

> 3. Constants problems with syncing my Soni CLie with Evolution.  Has
> someone already done it?

Gave up on syncing with Evolution due to problems (been a while, perhaps
I should try again) - I like jpilot.

Phil