grub is gone

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Fri Jul 2 13:58:12 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 09:28 -0400, Paul Pianta wrote:
> Hans Müller wrote:
>
> >Hello i have a problem my grub is gone. I have try to install Winsows and this
> >has killed grub. So now the only way to run linx is booting via PXE. I have
> >try to run groub-install /dev/sda1 but i will not work. When i try to boot
> >then via the hdd, i get the error  22 from grub. What can i do?
> >The FC2 installation is on /dev/sdd2.
> >

> Maybe you should try 'grub-install /dev/sda'
>
> That will reinstall it into the MBR of your first scsi disk which is
> where you probably want grub installed (rather than the first regular
> partition - /dev/sda1)

If you did install grub on the boot partition rather than MBR may need
to make it active, but this is unlikely if FC is all on sdd2.  In any
case, it's always a good idea to have a grub boot floppy prepared before
letting Bill Gates mess with your machine:

  grub-install /dev/fd0

Alternatively, can make a custom boot CD image with

  mkbootdisk -iso <kernel>

Phil