New nVidia Driver vd rivafb kernel module-SOLUTION

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jul 2 14:14:19 UTC 2004

On Friday 02 July 2004 05:51, Matt Hansen wrote:
>On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 14:43, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Thanks for this thread, its reminded me to make the rivafb a
>> module next time I build a new kernel.  Its currently built in.
>> Do I need anything special in my /etc/modprobe.conf for that?
>
>Gene, just specifying rivafb as a module in 'make {menu,g,x}config'
>should be all that's necessary to compile it as a module. FC kernels
>have it set as a module by default. Maybe a 'alias rivafb off' in
>/etc/modprobe.conf wouldn't hurt though.
>
>Matt

Ok Matt, but not FC kernel.  I've been running 2.6.x kernels since
this was an rh8 install.  Currently running 2.6.7-mm3 since -mm4 did
something to the networking, reducing the pipe size to only 40k/sec,
and it continues to plague -mm5.

This machine has no pieces of SElinux netfilter, etc in it as its
behind a firewall about 3 courses of bricks thick.  I had a fellow
scan me from outside last night after giving him my ip address and he
couldn't even find the closed identd port the commercial scanners
occasionally find.  I'd just closed another hole in the router
config.  But I'll set that alias in case it gets in the way of
nvidia-6106.  With it builtin, its ok, but when I switch, that should
kill it completely.

Yeah, I like to bleed at times, but I just feed it to my glucose
meter, I'm borderline :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.