List of rpms to install mplayer on FC2 (2.6.6-1.435.2.1)

Chuck_Sterling csterlin at zianet.com
Sat Jul 3 03:27:15 UTC 2004

Robert Locke wrote:

>> From: Chuck_Sterling <csterlin at zianet.com>
>> Date: 2004/07/02 Fri PM 07:25:27 EDT
>> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>> Subject: List of rpms to install mplayer on FC2 (2.6.6-1.435.2.1)
>>
> <snip>
>>
>> Since I did not know what order of installation was needed, I just
>> used a baby script to install whatever would, then run it again and
>> again until all the dependencies were finally met. Took about four
>> passes, plus one more when finally I downloaded libpostproc.
>>
>> example of script...
>> # for FILE in `ls -1 *.rpm`
>> > do
>> > echo $FILE
>> > rpm -i $FILE
>> > done
>> . . .
>> #
>>
>> </FWIW>
>> Chuck Sterling
>>

> Chuck,
>
> Couple of thoughts to make it easier for you next time....
>
> 1) Try to get used to yum or apt-get.  I am using yum at the moment,
> and once I modified my yum.conf file to include some other repo's, all
> I had to do was a "yum install xine".  Admittedly, my repo did not
> have a couple of additional rpm's listed as dependencies, so I needed
> to additionally do a "yum install libdvdcss".
>
> 2) But even if you would rather go through manual dependency
> h-e-double-hockey-sticks, simply download all the rpm's you think you
> need into one directory, from one repository site.  Then do a "rpm
> -Uvh *.rpm" from that directory.  The "shell expansion" will initially
> have the rpm's in alphabetical order, but the "preflight check" of rpm
> will re-order them automagically based on the dependencies.....  Seems
> easier than your script.  Also by using the -v switch you will see the
> order that they are installed in.
>
> HTH in the future,
>
> --Rob

I appreciate the feedback. I had read of the yum method but was unable
to get it to work. Missing some detail, I guess, and probably should
have asked about that. What I did was definitely a kludge, and I only
mentioned it in case others were also frustrated getting it done
correctly. I'll hang on to your comments for reference the next time
that sort of thing happens.

Thanks again,
Chuck