fedora.redhat.com nightmare updating!

Don Russell don at drussell.dnsalias.com
Sat Jul 3 12:42:27 UTC 2004

Gene Heskett said:
> On Saturday 03 July 2004 04:04, Florin Andrei wrote:
>>>
>>> I notice you're not sharing this information.... presumably so it
>>> remains fast for you. ;-)
>>
>>yes
>
> yes is all well and good for you, but the rest of us are looking at
> several days worth of typing 'yum update' (FC1) only to have it hang
> at the downloading headers line, and 10 minutes later give it a
> ctrl-c.  4 or 5 times so far since yesterday morning around this
> time.  This with a std FC1 yum.conf with an added freshrpms section
> and a "no touch" on the kernel since I build 2.6.x from kernel.org,
> currently 2.6.7-mm3.

I suggest that the "my mirror is faster than your mirror and my mirror is
a secret" attitude of Florin simply be ignored...

This list gets enough traffic without useless posting like "I know how to
do that..."

So... ignore Florin... there are always parasites in any community...
<sarcasm>on the other hand, maybe Florin's contributed in ways that my
mere mortal intelect can't fathom. I should be considered blessed for
having read his words.</sarcasm>

In the mean time, let's work on a solution to the problem... and yes,
Florin will benefit from that too, and that's OK...

sniff, I feel a big group hug soon... LOL... :-)

Cheers,
Don