New to Linux

Andrew Konosky TerranAce007 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 3 18:54:19 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am still fairly new to Linux. I was running RH8.0, then I downloaded
and upgraded to RH9.1, but I really haven't gotten into learning Linux
much until now. Since RH has gone commercial, I am looking to switch to
a different free distribution of Linux. I was looking into Suse 9.1, but
then I came across Fedora.

What are the major differences between the two distributions as far as
compatibility with certain programs? I know Suse uses KDE, where I use
Gnome in RedHat, but I can download Gnome for Suse if I want. I see
Fedora has 4 install CDs, where Redhat has 3 and Suse only has one. I
guess this means I am getting a lot more features? Does Fedora have an
auto update program like the RedHat Network that used to be free?

Thanks,
Andrew