New to Linux

Atlantic Works - I.T. & Multimedia ian at atlanticworks.com
Sat Jul 3 19:03:16 UTC 2004

>Hi,
>
>I am still fairly new to Linux. I was running RH8.0, then I downloaded
>and upgraded to RH9.1, but I really haven't gotten into learning Linux
>much until now. Since RH has gone commercial, I am looking to switch to
>a different free distribution of Linux. I was looking into Suse 9.1, but
>then I came across Fedora.

>What are the major differences between the two distributions as far as
>compatibility with certain programs? I know Suse uses KDE, where I use
>Gnome in RedHat, but I can download Gnome for Suse if I want. I see
>Fedora has 4 install CDs, where Redhat has 3 and Suse only has one. I
>guess this means I am getting a lot more features? Does Fedora have an
>auto update program like the RedHat Network that used to be free?

>Thanks,
>Andrew

Fedora does still use Redhat Network to update, but is much better than with
RH9 because it doesn't make you register to use it.  It doesn't ask any
annoying questions, just works.

You can use Gnome or KDE.  I never have been required to use the 4th disk,
and I have done server and desktop installs.  I think it is mostly srpm's
(Source Rpm's)

Fedora C2 uses the 2.6.x kernel which most other distros haven't gotten to
yet...

Ian