full system backup

Edwin Dicker edwin at dicker.nl
Sat Jul 3 19:58:16 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hannes Mayer" <h.mayer at inode.at>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Saturday, 03 July, 2004 21:44
Subject: Re: full system backup

> /sys, /proc and /dev are system directories and you don't need to backup
> them, since they're recreated by the system anyway on every reboot.
> Backing up those would make no sense, cause of the former reason.
> Actually those are not regular files, but virtual files in the virtual
file-system.

> Cheers,
> Hannes.

Hannes, Thanks for the reply.
I suspected /sys would be created every boot but I didn't know that /dev is
created also.
However, due to the rare case that sometimes you need to create a devicenode
manually in /dev I think its adviseable to back it up too because this
devicenode will not be recreated after a reboot but you will need it after a
full restore.

Cheers,
Edwin