no alsa audio

Mike Payst linuxgruven at nc.rr.com
Sun Jul 4 16:32:37 UTC 2004

I installed a new mobo recently with a built-in "nVidia
Corporation|nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler (MCP)" and then upgraded FC1 to
FC2.  This is my first time using alsa.  My only usage for audio is to
listen to a PBS station using Real Player 8.   When I try to listen to
the FM station, there is no audio at first.   The sound driver is loaded:

# service alsasound status
ALSA sound driver loaded.

I discovered that if I run "system-config-soundcard", click on "Play
test sound", then the audio will play properly once again until the next
reboot (I shut the machine down at night).  This sequence is very
repeatable.

Or, if I do the "Play test sound" first, then I can hear the FM station
as soon as I start real Player.

Despite a bunch of digging, I have not been able to figure out what
process "Play test sound" is kicking off.  Can anyone tell me what I am
missing?