Ext3 problems

Ed Mack lists at edmack.com
Sun Jul 4 19:12:50 UTC 2004

> What type filesystem is on hdb1?
>
> This type error was seen a short time ago when the drive was being
> mounted as vfat, even though it was actually an ext3 filesystem.
>
> IIRC the poster in that case had used a drive that was originally
> partitioned using M$, then all he did was change the partiton type and
> formatted the filesystem.  It mounted the drive as vfat automatially.
> When he manually told it to mount as ext3 it worked.
>
> You might try unmounting it, then doing a "mount -t ext3 /dev/hdb1
> /home" to see if that gives anything different.
>
> "# fdisk -l /dev/hdb" and "mount" may also give some useful information
>
> Good luck.
> Jeff

Ok, I tried your mount command, and also changed fstab to explicitly
mount as ext3, but the same errors appeared

HOWEVER, using fdisk (something I would have never thought of, thanks!)
does give interesting information:

[root at localhost /]# /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hdc

Disk /dev/hdc: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hdc1               1       16708   134206978+  55  EZ-Drive
/dev/hdc2   *         325       19457   153685822+   c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)

The Fat32 thing hopefully is the issue, although the mount command
didn't effect anything. I formatted this whilst using a linux rescue
disk, using fdisk or mkfs.ext3.. (I'm still a newbie, so fumbled around
a bit).

Anyway, thank you _very_ much for your suggestions so far, hopefully not
the only ones :)

Thanks,
  Ed Mack