New to Linux

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun Jul 4 19:15:51 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 14:13, Andrew Konosky wrote:
> Okay, thanks for the information. I'm downloading it right now and
> getting some amazing download speed I never dreamed about in Windows.
> (376kbps!). On the download site it has the 4 isos then 4 more source
> isos. I have plenty of blank CD's, soI'll download all 4 regular cds.
>
> Since I have a large hard drive, I will probably repartition and give
> Windows 40gb and Linux the other 40gb. Since I have downloaded Suse,
> would it be possible to install Fedora and Suse alongisde windows and
> have a "tri" boot config, or would this just be a waste of time?

Is tri-boot doable - Certainly, with a little playing with the
arrangement in grub.conf.  But this is likely not of major utility
unless you frequently reboot just for fun and want to test something is
the other OS.  I am happy enough with FC2 that I have not rebooted
(except for kernel updates) since I installed it.

FWIW, the *ONLY* reason I even have a Windows box in my house is the
problems in getting certain windows games to run on Linux/wine.

Unless you have downloaded a LOT of stuff for Windows 40gb is a lot more
than any of the versions need.

Yes, there are 4 binary isos and 4 more source isos.  My experience has
been the same as Tom's; I have never needed the 4th CD, and I usually do
custom installs.  I think that it contains only stuff that is very
seldom used.

BTW, Fedora is the continuation of the RedHat line, but RedHat has mow
limited the releases under their name to only the "pay" versions, and
the Fedora Project is running the development on what was the "free"
version of RedHat.  RedHat 9.0 was the last version RedHat released
free.  With Fedora you still get the advantages and the base that was
developed by RedHat, just a different name and with more community
input.