yum dead in water, only evidence of server is ping response

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Sun Jul 4 20:37:33 UTC 2004

Jeff Vian wrote:
> Clint:
> Why do you use the "exclude=kernel"?

I perceive kernel-related things as pretty serious business, so I have
exclude=kernel* in my /etc/yum.conf for personal preference, really.
Since I have my yum service set to update nightly, I prefer to read
carefully the announcements of kernel* updates, and set aside the time
to do them manually, if they apply to the particular box.

I have an nVidia graphics card also, which means that I have to take
time out to "deal" with their driver issue. Sometimes it goes well,
sometimes it doesn't go so well. Either way, I'd prefer that kernel not
be automated.

[...]

Elsewhere on the list, you'll see my questions about hardware, which
relate to this thread, in that I want to build own box, so that it has a
minimum of fuss when the kernel updates come out, and still allow me to
play a mean game of TuxRacer or Neverball every now and again!