Fedora core 3 feature requests

Rahul Sundaram rahulsundaram at yahoo.co.in
Sun Jul 4 23:36:57 UTC 2004

Fedora core 3 -  Feature requests
---------------------------------------
I am not sure whether it is too late but I will post
my thoughts on the upcoming fedora core 3 release.

Things that will not be there
------------------------------------

Since many people using bring this up I am adding this
upfront to avoid unnecessary stuff. All these have
potential legal issues and probably will not be
included

Mp3 playback
DVD playback
Mono
NTFS support
All your favorite software :-)

Feature Requests
---------------------

* Organisation of packages

	CD reorganisation to realise the goals of seperating
the packages as core, alternatives and extras. This
would mean that Fedora core would just be 1 CD where
we will get the defaults for many stuff. The rest
would be available in other CD's not part of core.
Those who download all the CD's will have no
difference and will be able to choose the stuff they
like instead of the defaults

So what would be defaults?

Desktop Environment - Gnome (redhat focus)
Browser - Mozilla Firefox? (1.0 would be release
PIM - Evolution
Office Suite - Openoffice.org
Media player - Totem with gstreamer backend

Web server - Apache
FTP server - vsftp
DNS server - Bind
Email server - Postfix? ( easier, better security)
Database server - MySQL

Alternatives

Desktop Environment - KDE
Browser - Mozilla,Konqueror, Ephiphany
PIM - Kontact
Office applications - Koffice, Abiword, Gnumeric

Email server - Sendmail, Exim
Database server - PostgreSQL, Firebird?

Extras

Alleg - alleg.sf.net

Documentation
----------------
Basic docs like Installation and reference guides.

Security
----------

Disable as much as services by default as possible or
provide an option during installation to do it the way
the user wants with good defaults.

Policy
-------

Stay as close to the upstream version for all packages
including desktop enviroments. If only Gnome is
provided in core we dont need to similar interfaces
for gnome and kde. Bluecurve could be the default
theme though since its a well known feature

Community
-------------

Open up cvs/subversion access to packages
Include a wiki
Provide packaging guidelines
Allow volunteers to include packages.
Get  upstream developers involved in bug reports and
packaging if possible
Incorporate the fedora planet for blogs
Provide links to all fedora related sites

Misc
------
* Include a groupware suite - Kolab ?
* Command line equivalents to system-config-* for what
is missing
* System-config-packages should have an option to
install third party packages
* Udev - Enabled by default ( Gnome volume manager
requires it, good thing)
* SELinux - Enabled by default ( needs good exposure)
* NX Support other than VNC - see
http://dot.kde.org/1088363665/ ( Better speed, more
features)
* Include clamav for scanning windows viruses (Useful
for Hetrogenous networks and web hosting)

regards
Rahul Sundaram