Can't install kernel 2.6.5-1.435.2.3

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 5 00:22:06 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 12:33:28AM +0200, Erik P. Olsen wrote:

> I have tried to install subject kernel on FC2 using up2date. It
> apparently seems to install successfully because no error message or
> warning has been issued, but when you boot there is no mention of this
> kernel.
>
> grub.conf has NOT been updated and the corresponding
> initrd-2.6.5-1.435.2.3.img is missing.
>
> The only modification to the boot process has been a change to the
> timeout value (for selecting kernel at boot) to 0 (zero).
>
> Is this a known bug?

In /boot/grub/grub.conf make sure that the line for
default specifies the new kernel.  Counting begins with '0'.

   default=0

Setting the timeout to 0 is likely making the ability to see that
there is a newer unselected kernel 'invisible'.  Set it to a short non
zero time.

   timeout=10

yum updates apparently to switch to the latest, up2date on FC2 keeps
the last one active.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l