DHCP Server, Shorewall, IP Forwarding help

adam stokes ajs at nc.rr.com
Mon Jul 5 03:25:15 UTC 2004

Outline : Server w/ 2 nics, Workstation on local network., Shorewall
firewall for IP Masq, DHCP Server
Problem : Not able to ping outside local network from workstation.

What does work:
DHCP server setup and hands out Lan IP's defined through the range in
dhcpd.conf
Server can ping outside network
Workstation can ping server
Have used sample configs for Shorewall which outline my lan setup.
I have checked to make sure IP Forwarding is turned on, and that
iptables,shorewall, and dhcp server are started, ifconfig on server
shows eth0 bounded to the ISP and eth1 bounded to lan ip given out by
dhcp server.
IFConfig on workstation shows IP given out by DHCP server as well.

I am lost at what else to look at to try and get my workstation to
properly connect to the internet through the dhcp server :(

Only thing i really dont understand is the DNS Options to set in
dhcpd.conf so im not sure how important that is since the dns should be
resolving from the ISP which the resolv.conf on the server shows that.

So any help as to directions to look at would be appreciated
adam