yum and automatic updates

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 5 06:35:46 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 05:19:56PM +0200, Ian Hilliard wrote:
> > From: <jix at barbuchu.com>
> >
> > I just need to know if yum can update automatically allwithout manual
> > intervention.
> >
> > I would to have a cron job with a "yum update" like, who said "yes" when
> > yum ask "Is this ok [y/N]:"
> >
> > Thx for your response and really sorry for my poor english
> >
> > jix
>
> Try: "yum -y update"
>
> The -y indicates to automatically say 'yes'.

On FC2 there is a cron job controlled by 'chkconfig'.

    $ chkconfig --list | grep yum
    yum             0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:on   6:off

You can turn it on:

    chkconfig yum on

 or off

    chkconfig yum off

The cron file uses the -y flag and looks like this:

    $ cat /etc/cron.daily/yum.cron

    #!/bin/sh

    if [ -f /var/lock/subsys/yum ]; then
	    /usr/bin/yum -R 10 -e 0 -d 0 -y update yum
	    /usr/bin/yum -R 120 -e 0 -d 0 -y update
    fi

I sort of like the idea of adding a download only flag to the yum.cron
file myself.   Then the download time is suffered by the machine
and I have more visibility of the action.  YMMV.

There is nothing preventing a FC1 user from hand installing this stuff.
The file chkconfig finds looks like:

    $ cat /etc/init.d/yum

    #!/bin/bash
    #
    # yum           This shell script enables the automatic use of YUM
    #