FC2 - PCM setting never being restored.

Hans Deragon hans at deragon.biz
Mon Jul 5 14:35:45 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Sa, den 03.07.2004 schrieb Hans Deragon um 14:53:
>

>>  Upgraded RHL9 to FC2.  One thing that bothers me is that the PCM setting of
>>the mixer is always at zero after a reboot.  The volume control is restored
>>corectly, but not the PCM value.
>>
>>  I noticed that /etc/init.d/halt runs 'alsactl store'.  It works, because
>>when I run manually 'alsactl restore', PCM value is returned where I left it off.
>>
>>  But nowhere do I find a 'alsactl restore' under /etc/init.d/*.  Off course,
>>I could add a script, but that is not the point.  I want to know how FC2 is
>>officially supposed to call 'alsactl restore'.
>

> In the /etc/modprobe.conf.
>

>>  I defined the following in my /etc/modprobe.conf:
>>
>>-->
>>alias sound-slot-0 snd_emu10k1
>>alias sound-slot-1 off
>>
>>install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe sound-slot-0; /usr/sbin/alsactl restore
>>install sound-slot-* /sbin/modprobe snd-card-${MODPROBE_MODULE##sound[_-]slot[_-]}
>><--
>>
>>  The last line was already there and I am not sure what it does.  'alsactl
>>restore' does not seam to work here.
>

> Following was put into my /etc/modprobe.conf by the system itself during
> fresh installation of FC2:
>
> alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
> install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 &&
> /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> remove snd-emu10k1 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
> /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1
>
> And it is working as it should.
>

>>Best regards,
>>Hans Deragon
>

> Alexander

Thanks.  I confirm that this worked (Responding for archiving purposes, in case
someone else is looking for the answer to this problem).

Thanks to you and Jeff who also gave the receipe.
Hans Deragon
--
Consultant en informatique/Software Consultant
Deragon Informatique inc.     Open source:

save restore reload