Nvidia nforce2 mobo/graphics problem

Per-Olof Litby - Reg'l Mgr Nordic/Baltic - Java System Software - Sun Microsystems politby at sun.com
Mon Jul 5 14:41:06 UTC 2004

Randy Kelsoe wrote:

> Per-Olof Litby - Reg'l Mgr Nordic/Baltic - Java System Software - Sun

>>> The nvidia chipset driver may not help. He says he has a 'Onboard
>>> Realtek AC'97 audio' chip, not the nforce2 audio chip.
>>>
>>> Have you run alsaconf?  If not, give that a try, and see if your
>>> audio gets detected. You might confirm which audio chipset you have
>>> by doing a
>>>
>>>    lspci -v |grep -i audio
>>>

>> Correct, my mobo doesn't have nforce audio. It has the more basic
>> Realtek chips. I discovered that I actually do get sound, but only on
>> the front 2 channels, not the surround channels. In Windows, the
>> audio output ports can be configured so that the microphone port
>> becomes the rear (or surround) port. I need to do this in Fedora as
>> well, since I have speakers connected to both front and rear outputs.
>

> I don't see any RealTek audio chipsets mentioned at the Alsa driver page:
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=All#matrix
>
> I am using the nforce2 audio chipset, and it uses the intel8x0 driver.
> When I run alsamixer, at the top, I get:
>
> Card: NVidia
> nForce2
>
> Chip: Realtek ALC650 rev 3
>
> what do you get if you do a 'lspci |grep -i audio' and also a 'lsmod
> |grep -i snd' ?

00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97
Audio Controler (MCP) (rev a1)

and

snd_pcm_oss            47656  0
snd_mixer_oss          16768  3 snd_pcm_oss
snd_intel8x0           28844  4
snd_ac97_codec         60420  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_pcm                80392  2 snd_pcm_oss,snd_intel8x0
snd_timer              19972  1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc          9096  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
gameport                3840  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_mpu401_uart         5760  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_rawmidi            19364  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device          7048  1 snd_rawmidi
snd                    44260  13
snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
soundcore               7008  3 snd

/POL