OT: Want to Build PC for Fedora Use - Hardware Questions

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Mon Jul 5 15:41:04 UTC 2004

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> At 11:36 AM 7/1/2004, Clint Harshaw wrote:
>
>> ASUS "P4P800-E Deluxe" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478
>> CPU
>

> The P4P800 series had some problems with the newer kernels. I believe
> they've been solved, but have heard better things about the A7N8X
> series. I am also a bit out-of-touch with motherboards, though, so take
> that with a grain of salt.
I have the A7N8X-Deluxe and I haven't had a single problem.  Just
needed to download the nVidia drivers for chip set.  I am still on FC1.

> Also, just to encourage competition, save some money, and still get a
> kick-ass CPU, I recommend AMD rather than Intel where possible. Love 'em.
>
>> ASUS nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out,
>> 8X AGP, Model "V9520/TD"
I use an nVidia card after much fighting with ATI drivers and cards.
Older ATI card works great at work.  I couldn't get the 9600 to work
(in january).

> Well, you mentioned being used to the driver issues, but you *will* have
> an easier time with a mid-range ATI card based on the R200 chip (like
> the 7200) if what I read on this list is correct (no personal experience
> there). ATI has not released specs or driver for the R300-based cards
> making their use even iffier than Nvidia. Just depends how much
> horsepower you need.
>
>> Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD800JD
>

> Check $/GB, get the best "deal" out there. I've been looking at the WD
> 160GB drives myself.

Go Large.  I am surprised how fast 100G fills up when you start
working with DVD's and mpgs.

>> Do I even need a sound card, since the board comes with onboard audio?
>

> Onboard should be fine, I'd guess.
>
> Cheers,

My only issue with Fedora and sound is the move to Alsa.  I have had
problems with some applications that don't really like Alsa, but I
haven't had time to look into them.

I have an AMD 3200 Barton chip and 1 gig ram.

I also prefer trackballs as I don't normally have much desk space.

I am looking at moving to FC2 after my holidays.  If the install is as
nice as FC1, I will be very happy.  I was waiting for the new nVidia
drivers to support 4k kernel.
--
Robin Laing