problems with the ln command

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Jul 5 20:43:07 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 13:16, Aaron Gaudio wrote:
> Behold, Fons van der Beek <fons at so-o.nl> hath decreed:
> > >
> > > I believe that the quotation marks around the paths may be your
> > > problem.  Try the command string without the quotation marks.
> > >
> > > Dick
> > >

> > That's rather hard to do because other directories have spaces in the
> > directory name..
> > insteam of "Nelly" e.g. "beasty boys" then I need those quotation marks....
> >

> Fons, et al:
>
> Quotation marks should not be messing you up. They are interpreted by bash to
> keep it from seperating the arguments on the command line,
> so by the time the ln command gets executed, no quotes will passed in the
> argument.
>
> You could also get around needing quotes by escaping the embedded spaces using
> backslashes (e.g. beasty\ boys), but that is rarely as convenient.

If you use the <tab> autocompletion of the names as you type, it
automagically puts the "\ " in the line for you.  :-)

However, I agree the " is not likely the problem.

Another poster noted what appears to be a looped link, and mentioned a
command issued incorrectly as the possible cause.  That is quite
possible and the creation date/time will answer at least partly the OP's
question of why this is happening. (Or maybe it isn't and just seems
that way because of the second link he sees.)