Amish Furniture CAD design

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Jul 6 01:32:30 UTC 2004

On Monday 05 July 2004 19:24, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
>Can anyone suggest a good Computer Aided Design tool for cabinet
>and furniture design?  If we can find a proper tool for this guy,
>he may bring a whole bunch of friends away from the dark side.
>
>Note, as thrilling as the idea of an Amish Linux distro may be,
>please change the subject line of your replies if you want to talk
>about something besides CAD for furniture, thank you!
>
>Keith

I'm also a woodcarver at times Keith, and one program that showed some
promise a year ago seems to have frozen itself in time at version .2,
which can still be dl'd from sourceforge.  The gent did have a web
page, but the www.ligumcomputing.com web site seems to have taken a
vacation.  Anyway, the name is 'lignumCAD'.  Most of the primitives
are there, the "easy stuff" but details such as mortise and tennon
joints are still treated as a seperate item as opposed to being a
basic part of the sticks dimensions.

I corresponded with the author a few times about 18 months back when
it was first announced but while I was eagerly awaiting version .3 so
I could see some progress, it never happened.

A google search for "CAD woodworking linux" might turn up something
even more promising.  I've drifted off in tne direction of dreaming
about CNC stuff as I also have a small lathe and milling machine for
doing metal fab stuff.  But so far, its at the "pieces of steel
laying on the table for the stepper mounts on the milling machine
stage".  Shoemakers kids story with word substitutions.  Thats what
you get when you are a retired JOAT. :-)

>------------ edited forwarded message :

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.