Accesing windows partitions

Per-Olof Litby - Reg'l Mgr Nordic/Baltic - Java System Software - Sun Microsystems politby at sun.com
Tue Jul 6 06:35:43 UTC 2004

Jonathan Ng wrote:

>Can I access a Windows NTFS partition? If I can't, how
>do I read files from my NTFS partition? Do I need to
>transfer all of them (2-3GB) to another FAT32 partition?

>Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other providers!
>http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

NTFS support is not built into the FC2 stock kernel. You can use the
RPMs from the URL below:

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/fedora2.html

to install a loadable module that will give you NTFS read access. You
will then need to put an entry in your /etc/fstab file to make sure it
gets mounted on startup. Here's an example from my fstab file for
mounting my Windows XP root partition (/dev/hdc1):

/dev/hdc1               /mnt/windows/C          ntfs
ro,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=iso8859-1 0 0

If you want write support for NTFS, take a look at

http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

although I would shy away from writing to NTFS partitions - it's been
known to be a bit flaky.

Good luck!

/POL