install mbr without running install-grub ?

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Tue Jul 6 15:16:05 UTC 2004

On Jul 6, 2004 at 11:01, John Minson in a soothing rage wrote:

[Groupwise top posting rearranged]

>>> akabi at speakeasy.net 07/06/04 10:32AM >>>
>>On Jul 6, 2004 at 09:54, John Minson in a soothing rage wrote:
>>
>>>My system has 2 drives. hd0 has win98, hd1 FC2. Currently I boot
>off of
>>>hd0 (mbr installed by FC2 installl process)  .
>>>Is there a way to install the mbr onto hd1 without running
>>>install-grub ?
>>Sure, use grub-install instead (-:. But seriously, if you do
>>not like grub, you will have to use another boot loader. lilo
>>and boot magic come to mind. If you do like grub, I suggest
>>installing it on hd1.
>Let me restate the question. The /boot dir on hd1 has all of the
>stages,kernel,grub conf files but hd1 has no 'mbr/boot block ...' .
>Currently the bios says to boot from hd0 . I want to change the bios
>setting to boot from hd1 but hd1 is not currently 'bootable' . How do
>I make hd1 'bootable' from a bios standpoint without running
>grub-install.
I you want to boot from the second harddrive, your BIOS
has to allow it. It should do this where you specify the
order of the devices to boot from. After changing this,
you need to install grub in the mbr of the device, so
you would do something like '/sbin/grub-install /dev/hdb'.

N.Emile...
If I told you you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?
 11:10:35  up 8 days,  4:25,  5 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00