Advantages of SRPM over RPM

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Tue Jul 6 16:57:27 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 03:47, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 23:03, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> > --On Tuesday, July 06, 2004 11:05 AM +0530 peeyush <peeyush at ncst.ernet.in>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > But now i am wondering if it is worth doing that. Will "rpmbuild SRPM"
> > > lead to performance advantage over i386 RPMS that are available on the
> > > site?
snip
> In those cases it usually is best to start with the fedora srpm, read
> the changelog to see why what was done, and modify from there.
>
> As far as optimization is concerned - I prefer to optimize hardware
> rather than use cpu specific flags at build time. Why?
>
> Linux is the only operating system I run that easily will boot a
> completely different motherboard chipset if my board fries and I need to
> get back up quickly. This has happened to me, btw - MB fried and i had
> to be back up ASAP. It was easier than I thought - kudzu had a blast at
> bootup disabling and re-enabling all kinds of things - but it worked
> extremely well.
snip
I used to troubleshoot and repair systems and kept a 20GB hard drive
with Red Hat 8.0 then 9.0 for doing diagnostics on motherboards and
peripherals. Never did kudzu fail to adapt Linux to the motherboard.
Caveat basic architecture must be maintained (I.E. 64 bit bus PC bins
will not work on a 32 bit bus machine).
--
jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>