Help with Orinoco Gold card ME TOO!

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Tue Jul 6 23:46:43 UTC 2004

James Marcinek wrote:

>I just installed the necessary rpms (as I haven't been able to get my card
>working either).
>
>I have a ORiNOCO classic Gold PC Card. Everytime I plug the card in my laptop
>freezes up. It also interferes with booting...
>
>I have a HP Pavillion ze4325us with an Athlon processor. This is the
>second card I've purchased in an attempt to get it running with Linux.
>Can anyone help?

I don't know if you tried different kinds of pcmcia cards, but your
problem may be a conflict in the default resources used by the card
manager when you insert the card.  On a Compaq 2140US I ended up
modifying /etc/pcmcia/config.opts to exclude certain ports, irqs, and
memory locations.

Another thing I had to do was apply a bios update for the laptop.  There
was one early this year from HP that improved the handling of irq
assignment in relation to acpi and the card controller.  That was one
critical part of making it work.  If there are any bios updates for your
machine I recommend you start by putting the most recent one on.

If there is still a problem look at the output of lspci -v to see what
irqs are used, and experiment.

The pcmcia detection upon insert, removal, etc. all work fine now.  Once you get insertion to work without hanging the system, then worry about getting the correct drivers for the pcmcia card you are using.