Update from FC1 to FC2

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 6 23:59:59 UTC 2004

Brian A. Kee wrote:
> Question regarding the upgrade process from FC1 to FC2.
>
> I have several FC1 systems that I keep up to date with a local yum server.
> Once every couple of weeks I download the latest updates, then run yum to
> keep the systems up to date. I would like to upgrade to FC2, however I do
> not wish to re-install/upgrade these systems via the CDROM(s).
>
> My question is:
>
> By using this method will I effectivley upgrade the FC1 system to FC2 by
> eventually upgrading all the RPMs on the system to current version RPMS?
>
> If not is there a way in which I can upgrade the entire system to the next
> release by simply keeping up to date with the Fedore Core RPM updates?
>
> In other words, does the Fedora team build its new releases based upon the
> updates of the previous release.
>

> Thank You,
>
> Brian A Kee

The best way IMO to upgrade without downloading the whole set of CDs is
to download the boot.iso from the images directory
(example: /redhat/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os/images/boot.iso), then
either select an http or ftp mirror. You need to point the mirror of
choice. (Example: mirror.hiwaay.net)

Then when prompted for the directory for the install, choose the
installation directory (Example: /redhat/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/os )

This should work pretty much like you were installing from CD, minus the
disc swapping and adding the slower time that is dependent on your
connection speed and the mirrors congestion factor.

I'm not sure how upgrading piece by piece would work for the:
kernel changes, X server changes, sound drivers, renamed programs from
redhat-config-* to system-config-*, etc:

Jim

--
You may be recognized soon.  Hide.