install mbr without running install-grub ?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Jul 7 14:33:34 UTC 2004

John Minson wrote:

> Let me restate the question. The /boot dir on hd1 has all of the
> stages,kernel,grub conf files but hd1 has no 'mbr/boot block ...' .
> Currently the bios says to boot from hd0 . I want to change the bios
> setting to boot from hd1 but hd1 is not currently 'bootable' . How do I
> make hd1 'bootable' from a bios standpoint without running grub-install .

I found this rather confusing.
I'm not clear what you are trying to do.

(1) Have you tried changing your present grub.conf to say eg
"root (hd1,0)" ?

(2) If you actually want the BIOS to look at hdb (= hd1)
it will look at the MBR on that disk,
so you would have to install grub there if you want to use grub.
What have you got against using grub-install?
I'd recommend running "grub-install --recheck"
to make sure it sees the hard disks as you do.

But I've probably misunderstood what you are trying to do.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366