Hardware RAID 1 - which card ?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Wed Jul 7 16:23:54 UTC 2004

At 12:13 PM 7/5/2004, Hannes Mayer wrote:
>I want a hardware RAID 1 not for speed nor will it be deployed
>in a high performance server, but I want good protection of my data
>against harddisk failure and not having to reinstall the system in
>case of a failure is nice too.

Do keep in mind that mistakes, user errors, power losses, and other causes
of *data* corruption are far more common than outright hardware disk
failure. If you don't have one already, *first* make a good backup system,
*then* do RAID-1.

>I don't like software RAID - I've a much better feeling when the
>card itself handles the mirroring.

You'll find that software RAID-1 on Linux is very mature and well-tested
and works well. If you still want a hardware RAID card, then go right ahead
and get one... I've not used 3Ware with the 2.6 kernel yet but it's been so
well supported in years past I'd have no real hesitation in buying their
stuff again.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz