alternative window managers

Phil Dybvig fedora at ducksoup.afree.net
Wed Jul 7 18:16:00 UTC 2004

>i'd like to fool around with another wm. Which one would you recommend?

I like windowmaker a lot.  lean, great look and feel, works well, no little
cartoon trash can or home icons (i'm old-fashioned), easy to configure the way I
like it.  This is based on the much-praised next interface.

  http://www.windowmaker.org/

The only problem is that when I run some gnome applications, nautilus hijacks
the desktop, changes the background, etc.  To stop this, I did chown root:root
and chmod 000 for Desktop and .gconfd.  I am sure someone here knows a less
brutal way of keeping gnome at bay...