[OT] how can a bash script determine if it's running in an xterm???

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Jul 7 23:39:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 11:51, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

> Actually there are three states I want to base some conditional execution
> on.
>
> I can do this now based on feeding the script a command-line argument.
> But I'm wanting to have the script itself determine if:
>
> 1) It's running in a VT such as found in runlevel 3 or via ctrl+alt+F1
>    in runlevel 5.
>
> 2) It's running in an "xterm", "konsole", "aterm", or (ANY other x based
>    terminal window).
>
> 3) It's not attached to a terminal or VT (such as might happen if the
>    script was called from alt+F2 run prompt).
>
> How can a bash script test it's environment for these three different
> conditions???
>
> Please! and Thank you!

I have not tried what you want, Someone else may be able to give a
complete answer.

However, when I have a similar question, a very good and handy reference
to locate the answers for most and to lead me in the right direction in
shell scripting is the book /UNIX shell programming/ by Lowell Jar
Arthur and Ted Burns.

If I am considering Perl instead of the shell I use the /Perl Cookbook/
and /Programming Perl/ among others to get the details as to how/why it
works that way.

With these and a little research I find most things I need for anything
I want to do.  Over time even the difficult task becomes easier as the
techniques are learned.

YMMV
Jeff