system-config-network broken?

Marc Williams marcw at onlymooo.com
Thu Jul 8 00:12:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 18:54, Colin J Thomson wrote:
> On Thursday 08 Jul 2004 00:39, Marc Williams wrote:
> > I wanted to change my DNS settings and so fired up the network GUI,
> > system-network-config, made my changes there and then saved.  But my CPU
> > meter spiked and wouldn't come down.  I waited for over 3 minutes and it
> > still stayed at 100%.  It never did save my settings before I killed
> > things manually.  I tried this twice with the same results both times.
>
> I had a similar problem here, well actually system-config-network would
> never load and just threw a bundle of errors at me, I found nothing in the
> archives so I grabbed the latest versions from Rawhide:
>
> system-config-network-tui-1.3.17-2
> system-config-network-1.3.17-2

Thanks, but I found a different solution.  As it turns out,
system-config-network was choking on the size of my hosts file - 800k.
I guess it doesn't like 'em that big.  When I temporarily gave it a
normal hosts file, it handled it just fine.  Then I moved my big one
back in place.

I found something similar in Bugzilla.  Maybe this will help someone
else.