No checksum on Fedora project disk FC2-i386-disc3.iso

dsavage at peaknet.net dsavage at peaknet.net
Thu Jul 8 01:24:56 UTC 2004

On Wednesday, July 7, 2004 at 7:21 p.m. "Yuri Pesenson"
<ypesenso at bellatlantic.net> wrote:
> Hello, everybody!
> I need a help with a very ordinary problem. I wanted to install the
> latest Linux version (Fedora project). For that I downloaded images of
> four installation disks for Pentium-4 based PC from the Red Hat server
> (dated 5/13/04) and then copied them on my CDs. I chose installation of
> the Linux workstation for which three CDs (1,2, and 3) were required.
> The installation proceeded smoothly until the third disk
> (FC2-i386-disc3.iso) was needed. When inserted into CD reader it came
> with an error. The subsequent check of that media revealed that the disk
> doesn't  have the checksum (MD5sum).
> Assuming that something went wrong during the copying I made another
> copy. Same result. Then I downloaded that disk image the second time and
> copied it again. No change... Still no checksum.
> What's wrong with the image and where I can get a valid third disk?

Yuri,

Two things to check:

1. Use md5sum (or md5sum.exe under Windows) to check the integrity of the
ISO for CD #3. It should be 5ad870e696953f4bbd0a91936873890e. If not, and
you know how to use rsync, use it to fix your ISO. Otherwise download a
another copy of the ISO and check its md5sum. This step MUST be right
before you burn another CD.

2. Perform a media check on CD #3 before you start your installation.

Actually there's one other thing to check: fingerprints and other dirt on
the CD. Use one of those alcohol-based lens cleaning cloths to remove
anything that shouldn't be on the data side of the CD.

Hope this helps...

--Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 1 kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl on P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
                          -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov