Problems Installing Fedora Core 2

Kris Haight khaight at nhvt.net
Thu Jul 8 17:04:29 UTC 2004

> > Problem #2
> > ----------
> >

> Disk Druid should do that. Actually I don't have in mind if
> there is a forcing switch. I guess your problem comes from
> having not used the Linux partitioner to partition your disk
> (see below). During installation you can switch to console 2
> by pressing Strg+Alt+F2 and then run fdisk. "fdisk -l
> /dev/hdX" i.e. shows you which partition is the active one.

I just usually boot off the CD and do a rescue and fix it that way (or use
Partition Magic). I just remembered the installers doing is automatically,
even if you manually partitioned your drive.

> > Problem #3
> > ----------
>
> Known issue, when you did not partition your disk(s) using
> the Linux tools but partitioned the whole disk using a
> Windows[tm] tool, i.e. Partition Magic. You may have luck,
> you may run into serious problems. In general I suggest to
> not using any Windows[tm]/DOS partitioner if running Linux in
> parallel.

Yes I have used Partition Magic to setup my drives. I am not against using
fdisk off the CDs to do so, but I have Windows to content with. Maybe when I
overcome just getting it installed, I will set up the partitions with disk
druid or fdisk.

> > Problem #4 (The big one)
> > ----------
> >

> May I guess it is your graphics card?

I've seen a similar bug posted to Bugzilla concerning ATI Radeon 9600/9700
cards.

But why would the graphical GUI load if video card was having issues. It
even probed it correctly as a "ATI Radeon 7500".

> > I can replicate this problem over and over again, and it
> locks up at
> > the same exact place. I cannot get past this point.
>
> Which point exactly?

I can get into the GUI Installer. After I select the keyboard, and language,
it gives the disk error I posted about (in Problem #3), then asks me what
kind of system I want to install. I select "Custom" and select "Next" to
move on, I can move the mouse for about 2 seconds then it freezes.

> > Things I've Tried:
> >
> At grub boot prompt press "a" and then remove at the kernel
> line the parameters "rhgb quiet" and append a "3" (all
> without quotes). Then boot. If that is successful and ends
> with a login prompt on console then it is clearly caused by
> something with your graphics card.

I will try to reinstall using text mode, but I don't think it's going to
work. I'll keep the list posted. I just loath the text installer because it
does not allow me to select individual packages.

-- Kris

PS to Alfred - 'noprobe' did not help.