GNOME speed-up

Hannes Mayer h.mayer at inode.at
Thu Jul 8 17:54:02 UTC 2004

Hi all!

Yesterday I installed debian sarge (no, I'm NOT dropping FC2, I just
love bleeding edge stuff ;-) and I recognized that GNOME on the
P3 450MHz 390MB experimental box was quite fast.

I always felt that GNOME on FC2 was slightly slow on my P4 1.4GHz 1GB
production box, so I started to think what might be the cause.
Just out of curiosity I changed the theme to "Simple" and VOILA!
GNOME feels much more responsive now!
Of course the desktop doesn't look as pretty as with RedHat's bluecurve,
but IMO my desktop doesn't need pixmaps in the window title bar, nor
24bit aliased window-icons. It just needs to be fast!

Just sharing my experience. Maybe it's useful for someone!

Cheers,
Hannes.